Thursday, October 8, 2009

Blood On My Hands

To kill or not to kill - the choice is at hand.

It's chilly out there now, but the coming freezes in the next few days have started the internal debate about the outside plants. Which ones to save and how to do it are the questions that keep popping up unbidden.

I've been known to go to ridiculous lengths like using a tarp made for a semi truck load of hay, but I'm not sure I'm up to it this season. Everything has slowed its growth to a crawl except the wild tomatoes, but there are a few flowers to take inside and they need to be in their inside clothes to look acceptable. That means repotting them.

This is a tough time of year, but it's probably time to be tough. One thing to be sort of thankful for, I didn't have time to get a fall garden in, so no lettuce, spinach or radishes to protect.

I just don't know if I'm ready to kiss goodbye my enormous hibiscus or basil tree. Arrgghh.

Maybe the weather guessers are wrong again and the 15 bedsheets I covered plants with a couple of weeks ago should come out a few more times. They kind of make it look like the yard is haunted with a scattering of ghosts.

The transition from brown to green is too hard. But you know, the more I make room for inside, the less carbon that will be floating around in there. Maybe we could have a greenhouse-gas-free Christmas. Very eco-friendly.

No comments: